Tuesday 6 December 2016

Critical Investigation Task #6

Up-to-the-minute additional web research

1) https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/feb/11/james-bulger-20-years-on

This article is about the James Bulger case and the effect that this case has had on society ever since. The reason why this case is so famous is because it was the first known murder case that actually was influenced by a film the accusers watched called 'Childs Play'. The reason why this would come useful to my CI is because I need to reference other event in which link to my argument of the Aurora shooting. This is a great example and fits in nicely with the question I am arguing. 

2) Case Study – Detrimental effect of the Media - Unicef [Journal]

This is an academic study based on the effect the media has on the audience, especially children. Since the James Bulger case was influenced by children, this study would come in handy when explaining more in depth about the case and how it may have influenced them to of committed such a crime, 

3) http://www.mediaknowall.com/as_alevel/mediaviolence/violence.php?pageID=child

I will use this source/link for the statistical information I want to reference in my CI as I need to give a brief summary about the case as well as provide some information regarding statistics etc.

4) "...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

This is one of the most famous quotes in The Dark Knight, the reason I will be using this is because it will appear as the first quote the examiner will see when reading my CI. It defines the character and the argument of my essay, which is why this quote comes in handy. 

5) https://www.quora.com/Why-were-the-original-Batman-TV-series-and-films-so-camp

This is a very important source. The reason for this is because I didn't have any quotes regarding my historical text and this has provided me with some. This source will be used to help argue my case about the difference both texts have from each other and basing it off of societies pleasure during that time period. 

6) http://theweek.com/articles/639355/why-ridiculous-1966-batman-movie-most-important-batman-movie-ever

This kind of gives an alternative point to the previous one above. This source is about how the 1960's batman show was more 'important' than people think. This link breaks down what made this show so different and can come very useful when talking about my historical text.

7) https://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/1960s-batman-vs-batman-today

This source too helps with the historical section of my essay. It focuses on one of my last point I would like to make before closing this section, and that is the difference the two texts had. This is important as I could draw up links with the difference in audience expectations depending on the time period, or if there was a panic period in which people flooded themselves with comedic tv shows in order to make their lives better.

8) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/?ref_=nv_sr_1

My introduction is essentially my summary of my text and what I am arguing about. However, I have found that a few more quotes need to be reference within the introduction, and what better way to do it than with a few success statistics of the box office revenues. This source will help me mainly around the introduction as it comes more valuable there.

9)  Cohen, Stanley (1973). Folk devils and moral panics the creation of the Mods and Rockers. Paladin. p. 9.

This is a reference regarding the idea of moral panics. This source is relevant as I want to show how superhero movies has generated a sense of separation from peoples expectations by going dark and gritty and could use this reference to back up my idea. 

10)  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/3556524/The-critics-verdict-on-Heath-Ledger-in-The-Dark-Knight.html

There is a section in my essay where I talk about the great performance that Heath Ledger had while playing the Joker. I want to reference at least one critic praising his acting capabilities as it will leave to a great segway in to my next point which is the beginning of psychopathic behaviour he encountered. 

11) https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/2d67g9/til_heath_ledgers_portrayal_of_the_joker_scared/

This source is least likely to be used as I do have many more stronger case studies similar to this, however this case study is more about Ledger batman. This source sows how Ledger's batman was to terrifying that Michael Cain forgot his lines. This can come useful (if I make good links) where I can discuss the performance side of the argument and how that may have an impact on audiences member. 

12) Communication Theory; Mass Communication: MAGIC BULLET OR HYPODERMIC NEEDLE THEORY OF COMMUNICATION http://communicationtheory.org/magic-bullet-or-hypodermic-needle-theory-of-communication/

The hypodermic needle model theory is one that is very much relevant in my CI. Therefore I would like to reference it in some shape or form. This source can come useful when embedding a quote to the next point further on in my essay. 

13) Media Effects (60502nd ed.). SAGE Publications, Inc. 2012-01-03. pp. 35 63. ASIN 1412964695ISBN 9781412964692.

Media effects is a very vital source too in my CI. It covers the effect and impact that the text has on the audience emotionally and in other ways. This source can do just that where I can tart off the point with this quote/reference and start talking about the media effects of the Joker.

14) http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dc-entertainment/244413/dc-superhero-movies-and-the-dangers-of-gritty-realism

This source is mainly about the drastic changes that the genre of superhero movies have taken since the 20th century. Although dark and gritty theme is 'great', this source argues that it may have possible dangerous effects on people. The fact that superhero films are widely associated with the youth and children demographic, is quote shocking that they'll take this approach in order to gain audience members. 

15) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/07/20/suicide-squads-15-certificate-when-did-superhero-movies-stop-bei/

This source is very much similar to the previous one, however it is based off of the certification of the films. The latest instalment in the DCEU; Suicide Squad was released in theatres with a 15 age certificate. This source argues the reasoning for this and can come useful when talking about it further in my CI.

16) http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2010/09/28/holy-camp-batman-legacy-censorship-comics

This source is about how camp the 1960's version of the batman was. The reason why I will use this link is because it carries information and has a prime focus on my historical text alone. The previous references are about the comparison of the modern day text and the past day text. I will very much need to use references from this source as it can come in handy when discussing the change in tone, theme and audience pleasure.

17) The Art and Making of The Dark Knight- book

This is a book I had come acrossed and it had many references about media language in the text book. Since MIGRAIN is going to play a key role through out my CI I will need to have some references to show the effect that this factor has and why it was used.

18) Journal of Popular Film & Television v38 n1 2010

This journal is about examining the narrative and visual effects, and how audiences had been prime by Hollywood. The reason why this journal may be of importance for my CI is because it has a focus on psychopathic characters which the Joker is of no exception and can use the knowledge from this text to aid me in my CI.
19) A bit too dark for Brit kiddies? by Thomas Archie

This is a book that I would very much like to read upon and take some quotes from it as it is very valuable to my argument and text. It talks about the tone and themes of film that change so drastically it has been noted to be 'too dark' for children. This can link very much in to the idea of moral panics for parents and the future of the superhero genre.

20) Empire n223 January 2008 page 90-91

This source discusses the history and changing depiction of The Joker in different versions of the Batman story in comic books, television and film.  This is significant to my critical investigation because it shows how the character f the Joker has changed over the years and can very well make references to zeitgeist theory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment